Eugene’s Eggs

By Scott T. Gill I am not a big breakfast eater. Normally a good stiff cup of coffee from Starbucks satisfies me until lunch. I will eat something if it is offered to me, but I normally hold off in the early hours, unless Eugene is cooking. Eugene was youth pastor at a nearby the … Continue reading Eugene’s Eggs

My House is Empty, Pt. 2

By CJ Speelman Continued from My House is Empty, Pt. 1: That night, as I tossed and turned in my own clean bed, wrapped in sheets with a fan keeping me cool, Linda haunted my thoughts. Her hollow, encrusted eyes pierced my conscience, her small, gurgling voice kept saying thank you. I wrestled with myself; … Continue reading My House is Empty, Pt. 2

My House is Empty, Pt. 1

By CJ Speelman Parea is a Greek Word that basically means “circle of close friends.” When we chose that name for our community, we wanted it to embody who we were, not just to ourselves as a group of people, but also those who we encounter as we minister in Old Town Victorville. It speaks … Continue reading My House is Empty, Pt. 1

The Rebirth of Sanctuary

By Jimmy McCarty As part of The Fund for Theological Educations 2007 Conference on Excellence in Ministry I was able to visit Adalberto United Methodist Church today. Adalberto UMC is a storefront, mostly Hispanic church located in the city of Chicago. It has become famous for the actions of two of its members; Elvira Arellano … Continue reading The Rebirth of Sanctuary

Real Community is Hard

By Jeff Goins, Editor This word – community – that we throw around (sometimes cavalierly) is, in practice, pretty tough. Part of what Jesus was teaching his twelve disciples by calling them to join an itinerant ministry for three years was that they would have nothing to depend onstable jobs, comfortable homes, or guaranteed mealsbut … Continue reading Real Community is Hard